In a Masterclass with Chichibu and Suntory we tasted some great cask samples. The whisky from Suntory are components for the Hibiki 17 year old.
1. Chita Grain from Suntory bottled at 55% (over 17 years old)
3. Hanyu from Hanyu distillery (Vatted bet 1985-2000 Hanyu, matured with some different types of casks)
4. Smoky Hakushu from Suntory (over 17 years old)
5. Chichibu Mizunara 5y [cask sample] (distilled 2008, bottled 2013, Mizunara hogshead)
6. Suntory Mizunara (Mizunara cask, age over 17 years old)
Soft caramel notes, light peated, fresh, sweet, fruity, light floral blossom and clover honey
Sweet, spice, clover honey creamy mouth feel, very fruity, caramel, fudge and dark chocolate
Getting to a long finish with lingering fudge and chocolate notes.
Scoring a 7,5 to an 8. Very nice, all sides in there feels balanced. This is at 55% and as I understood it is a mix of peated and non peated whisky from 17/18 to 20 years old.