In a Masterclass with Chichibu and Suntory we tasted some great cask samples. The whisky from Suntory are components for the Hibiki 17 year old.
1. Chita Grain from Suntory bottled at 55% (over 17 years old)
3. Hanyu from Hanyu distillery (Vatted bet 1985-2000 Hanyu, matured with some different types of casks)
4. Smoky Hakusyu from Suntory (over 17 years old)
5. Chichibu Mizunara 5y [cask sample] (distilled 2008, bottled 2013, Mizunara hogshead)
6. Suntory Mizunara (Mizunara cask, age over 17 years old)
Cheesecake lemon with malty feel to it. White chocolate, rich fruit, vanilla, sultana and apricots. Softens with water and gives more cheesecake creamy notes.
Chewy, spice, fruit, warm, sweet, creamy, brioche, rich fruit cake, lemon, papaya, mango and coconut in the back
Coconut, vanilla, lemon and chocolate on a medium length finish
7,5 out of 10. It balances out with some water. Very nice.